908 West Lamar Alexander Parkway
Maryville, Tennessee 37801
(Across from Maryville TARGET)
Convenient Free Parking
All Mail Delivery:
P.O. Box 4997
Maryville, TN 37802
What to Do and Not to Do
- Once you are out of harm’s way (off the side of a freeway, for example), collect the following information about the drivers/owners of the other vehicles involved:
- each driver’s name, address, and phone number
- the name of the insurance company and the policy number for each driver
- each driver’s driver license number
- the license plate of each vehicle involved
- Jot down a description of each car involved (including make, model, year, and color).
- Jot down a description of the accident scene and of what happened right before the accident.
- Jot down the time of day and the weather and road conditions where the accident occurred.
- Gather and write down the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of any witnesses who may have observed the accident.
- If you have a camera (perhaps on your cell phone), take pictures of the accident scene.
- File an accident report.
- If you are contacted by an insurance adjuster representing the other party’s insurance company, decline to provide a statement until you’ve discussed your case with an experienced Tennessee car accident attorney.
- Discuss the accident with your own insurance agent, lawyer, or the police, rather than the potential defendant’s insurance company.
- Don’t accept a premature offer of settlement: following a car accident, the full extent of your injuries may not become apparent right away, but an early settlement may keep you from seeking compensation for all the past and future harm related to the accident.
- Seek a complete medical evaluation and follow the instructions and recommendations of the doctors.
- Keep copies of all your medical bills.
- If possible, take notes about the physical and emotional effects of the accident on you and your family members.