Motorcycle Accidents Statistics
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA), 80% of the motorcycle accidents that are reported every year lead to injuries or fatalities, compared with 20% of the car crashes.
- Between 1997 and 2005, fatalities arising from crashes between a motorcycle and another vehicle in the U.S. increased by 113% (see NHTSA report on “Fatal Two-Vehicle Motorcycle Crashes”) .
- According to a 2009 report by the Tennessee Department of Safety’s Office of Research, Statistics, and Analysis, in 2008 in there were 143 Tennessee motorcycle accidents that ended in fatalities, and 2,530 Tennessee motorcycle accidents that resulted in injuries.
- According to the same report, between 2004 and 2008, 914 motorcycle crashes occurred in Blount County (see PDF)
- Approximately 10% of the Tennessee motorcycle accidents reported between 2004 and 2008 were speed-related.
- Approximately 6% of the Tennessee motorcycle accidents reported between 2004 and 2008 involved alcohol use by the rider.
- Adverse weather conditions were reported in less than 5% of the Tennessee motorcycle accidents from 2004 through 2008.
- Close to 30% of the motorcycle accidents reported in Tennessee in 2008 occurred at intersections.
- In 2009, Tennessee motorcycle accidents resulted in 120 fatalities (see PDF); the numbers of such fatalities for each of the previous three years ranged between 140 and 148.
- Blount County ranked third among Tennessee counties in terms of the number of motorcycle crashes reported in 2009 (see PDF).
Motorcycle accidents may cause catastrophic injuries such as brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, nerve damage, and broken bones. If you or someone you love was injured in a motorcycle crash in Blount County, and you believe that the accident was caused at least in part by someone else’s negligence or by the use of a defective product, please call the Hartsoe Law Firm right away.
To schedule a consultation with an experienced Blount County motorcycle accident attorney, please call (865) 524-5657, email email@example.com, or fill out and submit our online “Contact Us” form.